ABBEY THEATRE Amharclann na Mainistreach | Job Description
JOB TITLE: Producing Assistant
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Producer
CONTRACT: Permanent contract / 40 hour week
SALARY: Commensurate with role / Depending on experience
For 117 years, the Abbey Theatre has played a significant role in reflecting Ireland’s evolving cultural, political and social identity. It has done so through the creation and staging of an important literary repertoire which has helped Irish people to understand and communicate what it means to be Irish. This role continues, as the nation’s sense of identity continually evolves and our population becomes increasingly multicultural. In this more globalised world, it is vital that the Abbey Theatre continues to stand proudly amongst our peers as a world-class national theatre, touring our work internationally and attracting great artists to work in Ireland.
The Abbey Theatre’s mission is to effectively and imaginatively engage with all of Irish society through the production of ambitious and courageous theatre, in all its forms. Ireland’s National Theatre is artist-led and audience-focused. We aim to ensure our programmes are driven by ambitious, big ideas by theatre-makers of all disciplines, relevant to our times, and communicated effectively to all our citizens and stakeholders.
Our vision is to build a 21st century theatre and company, where creativity drives our every move, developing the artists and audiences of the future. We will be a confident collaborative company, leading the way in how Irish theatre is developed, produced and disseminated; and where everyone who works with us, irrespective of their role, knows that they are contributing to the work of one of the world’s great theatres.
Planning is in train for the re-building of the Abbey Theatre in line with the Project Ireland 2040 plan announced by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media.
The Abbey Theatre is the National Theatre of Ireland. It occupies a unique position in the hearts and minds of Irish people. Comprised of two theatres, the Abbey Theatre, with a capacity of 492 seats, and the Peacock Theatre, with a capacity of 132 seats, the company produces a year-round programme of productions, public readings, talks, workshops and artistic development work.
This role will be a great opportunity for the right candidate. The role reports to the Senior Producer, and spans the overall Producing, Technical & Production Departments. The role will work closely with the Senior Producer, Head of Producing, Technical Director, Stage Managers, Production Managers and Company Manager, in order to provide producing & administrative support across all Productions.
Particular focus will be in the areas of production co-ordination, including contracting, travel and accommodation for all of the Abbeys Productions either in the building or on tour. This post requires attendance at performances, travel and events outside of normal hours.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES :
- Producing & administrative support for the New Work Department and the Technical & Production Departments for all Abbey Theatre productions whether in Dublin, the rest of Ireland or Internationally providing general support as required to ensure smooth running of the productions.
- Oversee drafting of all contracts, memorandums and other correspondence for productions, the creative team, co-producers and venues as agreed with the Head of Producing.
- Liaise with the Producers, Production Managers and Company Manager to deliver, but not be limited to:
- Booking & tracking travel and accommodation for all creative, performers and technical staff.
- Administrating allowances and expenses for all members of the production teams while on tour.
- Processing invoices as required.
- Working with travel and accommodation providers to find products and services that offer the best value for money to the Abbey.
- Work In conjunction with the Company Manager and HR Department, to oversee all aspects of visa applications for staff travelling from or coming to Ireland (where relevant).
- Representing the Abbey at events.
- Assisting with application and report writing.
- Any other reasonable duties which may be required as agreed with the Head of Producing.
- The above list is not exhaustive.
The suitable candidate will have the following experience:
- Experience of producing theatre demonstrating a good working knowledge of this process.
- Understanding and demonstrable knowledge and experience of touring productions.
- Demonstrable high-level experience of using Word, Excel and other common office software.
- Knowledge of and interest in Irish theatre.
- Working knowledge of the production process.
- Ability to be self motivated and work as part of a larger team.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Experience of setting, managing, or administrative support for budgets.
- Excellent organizational skills including time management.
- Experience of minute taking.
- Discretion and strong interpersonal skills.
Head of Producing, Senior Producer, Technical Director, Stage Managers, Production Managers and Company Manager
Directors, Designers, Producers, Performers, Agents, Venues, suppliers of travel and accommodation services.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Posts: Full time permanent position 40 h.
Hourly rate of pay: Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Probationary period: 6 months.
Holidays: 24 days per annum (including Good Friday and Christmas Eve) pro rata.
Public Holidays: 9 Public holidays per annum pro rata.
Pension: The Abbey Theatre provides employees with access to a pension scheme and will match contributions up to 5.5% of salary. Employees must contribute a minimum of 3% to avail of employer contributions. Contributions are made through payroll.
Life Assurance: The Abbey Theatre Group Life Assurance plan provides a benefit to all employees of 4 times annual salary in the event of death while in service.
Bike to work/ Bus Eireann/Luas/ Dart Tax Saver
Employee Assistance Programme: This is a free, confidential service, which is available to employees at any time, providing immediate access to fully qualified, accredited counsellors and information specialists.
To apply, please send the below information:
- Up to date CV
- Cover letter
The closing date for applications is 5 pm on 15th June 2021.
The Abbey Theatre is an equal opportunities employer