ABBEY THEATRE Amharclann na Mainistreach | Job Description
JOB TITLE: Box Office Manager
RESPONSIBLE TO: General Manager
CONTRACT: Full time permanent
For 115 years, the Abbey Theatre has played a significant role in reflecting Ireland’s evolving cultural, political and social identity. It has done so through the creation and staging of an important literary repertoire which has helped Irish people to understand and communicate what it means to be Irish. This role continues, as the nation’s sense of identity continually evolves and our population becomes increasingly multicultural. In this more globalised world, it is vital that the Abbey Theatre continues to stand proudly amongst our peers as a world-class national theatre, touring our work internationally and attracting great artists to work in Ireland.
The Abbey Theatre’s mission is to effectively and imaginatively engage with all of Irish society through the production of ambitious and courageous theatre, in all its forms. Ireland’s National Theatre is artist-led and audience-focused. We aim to ensure our programmes are driven by ambitious, big ideas by theatre-makers of all disciplines, relevant to our times, and communicated effectively to all our citizens and stakeholders.
Our vision is to build a 21st century theatre and company, where creativity drives our every move, developing the artists and audiences of the future. We will be a confident collaborative company, leading the way in how Irish theatre is developed, produced and disseminated; and where everyone who works with us, irrespective of their role, knows that they are contributing to the work of one of the world’s great theatres.
Planning is in train for the re-building of the Abbey Theatre in line with the Project Ireland 2040 plan announced by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media/
The Abbey Theatre is the National Theatre of Ireland. It occupies a unique position in the hearts and minds of Irish people. Comprised of two auditoriums, the Abbey Stage with a capacity of 492 seats, and the Peacock Theatre, with a capacity of 132 seats, the company produces a year-round programme of productions, public readings, talks, workshops and artistic development work.
An opportunity exists in the Abbey Theatre for an experienced Box Office Manager. This person will be responsible for overall day to day operations, caring for and responding to our audience and producing partners, line managing the box office team and coordinating our membership scheme.
Our programming model (digital, indoor and outdoor events) requires creative box office management to deliver on our mission, vision and visitor experience.
This person needs to have a skillset combining operational excellence and strategic project management.
- Set up and maintain the system configuration specific to box office for physical and digital ticketed events.
- Ensure accurate event and performance information is available at all times.
- Maintain system integrity including monitoring departmental data entry standards and ensuring adherence to business rules.
- Be a Tessitura power user for the Sales and Customer Service team and active contributor to the Tessitura User Group and Community.
- Identify and resolve box office system issues in conjunction with the Database Systems Manager, in a timely manner.
- Undertake any other tasks as may be deemed reasonable and appropriate.
- Manage all aspects of box office to ensure a profitable, highly efficient, day to day operation.
- Work closely with the Communications team on the sales and customer service messaging, to ensure the most accurate and effective communication.
- Manage our membership scheme activity (Cameo Club to Leading Role; coordinate activity relating to our digital membership scheme)
- Work closely with internal teams to manage stakeholder ticketing requests.
- Liaise with Community and Education regarding access performance requirements.
- Facilitate ticket sales operations for all co-presentations, venue hires and agent allocations.
- Ensure the Box Office delivers the highest possible standard of customer service.
- Keep up to date on new technology and sales techniques and roll out new initiatives that will improve operations.
- Manage the customer feedback process through the CRM system and ensure high level information and trends are reported to senior management.
Leadership and Management
- Ensure adequate staff coverage to meet demand and create a supportive environment where ideas are valued.
- Recruit, manage and mentor staff to provide our audience with a professional sales and customer service experience.
- Motivate staff to achieve their best both individually and as a team, within the framework of the performance management system.
- Prepare staff rotas and respond to sick leave and emergency staffing issues.
- Train staff on the box office functions of the CRM system.
- Motivate staff to reach sales targets, always leading by example.
- Implement, maintain and review Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs), policies and systems to improve efficiency and reduce costs.
- Ensure efficient and effective internal controls are implemented by the box office team.
Health & Safety:
- Adhere to the theatre’s Health and Safety policy and to current legislation.
- Work closely with the General Manager and other Abbey Theatre team members and consultants to create and maintain a safe working environment, develop safe systems of work and training for the S&CS department.
- With the Sales and Customer Service management team, implement the sales and customer service plan to deliver on department objectives.
- Review and implement improvements to our existing member benefits to ensure that all memberships represent value and authentic engagement for our audience.
- Represent the organisation at relevant external and internal meetings and events as required.
- Establish and maintain relationships with industry peers and stakeholders
- Sales & Customer Service
- Senior Management Team
- Community and Education
- Abbey Theatre customers
- Abbey Theatre stakeholders
- Producing partners – ticketing
The post holder will have:
- At least three years management experience in a customer focused organisation.
- Prior experience of working with a CRM/ticketing system in a management capacity.
- Passion for excellence in customer service with the ability to lead, inspire and motivate a team motivated by visitor experience.
- Demonstrated progression in roles and responsibilities.
- A rigorous approach to delivery including strong administration and communication skills, attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of membership schemes or customer loyalty programmes, with proven ability to provide exceptional standards of customer care.
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to prioritise both their own workload and that of team members.
- A knowledge and interest in theatre and the arts.
- Experience of managing change and introducing new services and systems.
- Deliver on strategies to increase revenue and encourage repeat attendance.
To apply, please send the below information:
- Up to date CV
- Cover letter
(Outlining why you want this particular post and highlighting the skills and experience that you could contribute)
Agnieszka Myszka HR Generalist
The closing date for applications is 5 pm on Thursday 8th July 2021 5pm.