ABBEY THEATRE Amharclann na Mainistreach | Job Description
JOB TITLE: Company Stage Manager
RESPONSIBLE TO: Company Manager
CONTRACT: 42 Hours per week / Permanent
SALARY: Commensurate with role
For 115 years, the Abbey Theatre has played a significant role in reflecting Ireland’s evolving cultural, political and social identity. It has done so through the creation and staging of an important literary repertoire which has helped Irish people to understand and communicate what it means to be Irish. This role continues, as the nation’s sense of identity continually evolves and our population becomes increasingly multicultural. In this more globalised world, it is vital that the Abbey Theatre continues to stand proudly amongst our peers as a world-class national theatre, touring our work internationally and attracting great artists to work in Ireland.
The Abbey Theatre’s mission is to effectively and imaginatively engage with all of Irish society through the production of ambitious and courageous theatre, in all its forms. Ireland’s National Theatre is artist-led and audience-focused. We aim to ensure our programmes are driven by ambitious, big ideas by theatre-makers of all disciplines, relevant to our times, and communicated effectively to all our citizens and stakeholders.
Our vision is to build a 21st century theatre and company, where creativity drives our every move, developing the artists and audiences of the future. We will be a confident collaborative company, leading the way in how Irish theatre is developed, produced and disseminated; and where everyone who works with us, irrespective of their role, knows that they are contributing to the work of one of the world’s great theatres.
Planning is in train for the re-building of the Abbey Theatre in line with the Project Ireland 2040 plan announced by the Department of Culture, Heritage and Gaeltacht.
The Abbey Theatre is the National Theatre of Ireland. It occupies a unique position in the hearts and minds of Irish people. Comprised of two theatres, the Abbey Theatre, with a capacity of 492 seats, and the Peacock Theatre, with a capacity of 132 seats, the company produces a year-round programme of productions, public readings, talks, workshops and artistic development work.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
To work alongside all of the Abbey departments to create productions of the highest artistic standard while leading the Stage Management Team, driving the technical rehearsal process and maintaining high standards during a run or tour to deliver the highest quality production.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- To line manage and lead a Stage Management (SM) team strategically, operationally and artistically on specific productions.
- Record and monitor hours worked by all actors and the SM Team and input payroll information for the time management system (TMS).
- On a production, to be the main point of contact between the performing company and the Abbey in conjunction with the Company Manager.
- Communicate effectively to the heads of producing regarding to their nominated productions.
- In consultation with the Production Manager, liaise with the performing Company, Creative team and Production Department to arrange calls and coordinate rehearsals.
- Responsibility for running the technical rehearsal for each production, ensuring that everything is in place as scheduled and to do everything in their power to keep the technical rehearsal within the allotted time.
- In consultation with Props Department, to ensure that all props for the production are sourced and made within the budget allocated.
- Arrange understudy rehearsals as required.
- Undertake/supervise scene changes as required.
- Be responsible for the creation and distribution of production information to all relevant teams associated with the production
- Ensure all props and furniture are available during rehearsals, as required.
- Supervise the rehearsal mark-up.
- Fully participate in and schedule staff for any additional events, talks & development work during the run of the production, as required.
- Ensure the stage is prepared for technical rehearsals.
- Ensure that high production values are maintained on all productions throughout the run whether in the Abbey or on tour.
Health and Safety
- Adhere to the theatre’s Health and Safety policy and to current legislation.
- Contribute to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of the full company and work with Production Managers to create detailed risk assessments for productions.
- Ensure that there is adequate first aid provision throughout the production process.
- Organise a health and safety walk-round on set with the acting company before the start of the first technical rehearsal.
- Form effective and creative working relationships with Directors, Producers, Designers and other Creative team members and internal stakeholders in order to achieve the full vision and potential of each production.
- Keep the Company Manager informed of any concerns from the performing company.
- Liaise with Press Department to coordinate interviews and photo calls during production rehearsal and technical periods.
- Maintain office, rehearsal rooms, and any other working areas to a satisfactory standard.
- Deputise for the Company Manager as required.
- Attend all meetings as required.
- Record all relevant production expenditure and deliver financial updates to the Production Manager for each production.
- To keep minutes at any and all Production Meetings throughout the rehearsal process.
- To provide relevant production details to front of house before first preview.
- Any other duties that are deemed reasonable and appropriate by your line manager.
The post holder will have:
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in a similar Stage Management role.
- An in-depth knowledge of the Stage Management process.
- Consistent track record in leading Stage Management teams.
- Excellent IT skills with a working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel.
(An ability to read technical drawings is advantageous)
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with theatre production processes.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure while delivering to a high standard.
- Excellent interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
- Full driver’s licence desirable.
- Ability to tour away from The Abbey’s base of operations with fair notice.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Posts: Full time permanent position 42 hours net per week Monday to Saturday.
Hourly rate of pay: Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Probationary period: 6 months.
Holidays: 30 days per annum (including Good Friday and Christmas Eve) pro rata.
Public Holidays: 9 Public holidays per annum pro rata.
Pension: The Abbey Theatre provides employees with access to a pension scheme and will match contributions up to 5.5% of salary. Employees must contribute a minimum of 3% to avail of employer contributions. Contributions are made through payroll.
Life Assurance: The Abbey Theatre Group Life Assurance plan provides a benefit to all employees of 4 times annual salary in the event of death while in service.
Bike to work/ Bus Eireann/Luas/ Dart Tax Saver
To apply, please send the below information:
- Up to date CV
- Cover letter
(Outlining why you want this particular post and highlighting the skills and experience that you could contribute)
Agnieszka Myszka HR Generalist
The closing date for applications is 5 pm on Wednesday 27 November 2019
The Abbey Theatre is an equal opportunities employer