JOB TITLE: Costume Assistants x2 – Costume Dressers
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head of Costume and Costume Hire
CONTRACT: 6 months fixed term Relief contract
“to bring upon the stage the deeper emotions of Ireland”.
The Abbey Theatre is Ireland’s National Theatre, and a significant part of its role is to reflect our evolving cultural, political and social identity. We do this through the creation, development and production of theatre that seeks to interrogate, challenge, gather and inspire a nation and its people, locally, nationally and internationally. We’ve held this inimitable place in the Irish cultural landscape for over 116 years, since before the formation of the Irish state.
The Costume Department are looking for Costume Dressers & Costume Hire Assistants to join their relief staff panel of costume professionals. If you have the following experience and skill sets, we look forward to hearing from you.
Duties of the Costume Assistant include but are not limited to:
- Working with the Costume team over the technical rehearsal & taking responsibility for any dressing notes.
- Organising and pre-setting costumes for backstage changes pre-show.
- Assisting actors with any pre-show dressing as necessary.
- Work through the entire technical rehearsal process to plan, rehearse and ensure the timely completion of costume changes.
- Organising and where appropriate assisting in all quick changes.
- Helping actors maintain their costumes on a day-to-day basis and informing the costume department if a costume needs maintenance.
- Working with other departments/disciplines to ensure the smooth running of the entire production
- Collecting and sorting laundry at the end of the show.
- Completing, by opening night, a fully accessible set of dressing instructions for the show.
The post holder will have:
- The ability to work in a flexible way in a sometimes-pressurised environment and to deal with all situations as they arise in a calm, positive and professional way.
- An appreciation of theatrical project-based work that means one’s functions and duties are constantly evolving
- They are punctual and reliable.
- Ideally, previous dressing experience working on a large scale production.
- Sewing skills.
- Experience in customer service.
To apply, please send the below information:
- Up to date CV
- Cover letter
(Outlining why you want this particular post and highlighting the skills and experience that you could contribute)
The closing date for applications is 12pm on Thursday, 4th August 2022.
The Abbey Theatre is an equal opportunities employer
Leave A Comment