The Abbey Theatre
For over 115 years, the Abbey Theatre has played a significant role in reflecting Ireland’s evolving cultural, political and social identity. It has done so through the creation and staging of an important literary repertoire which has helped Irish people to understand and communicate what it means to be Irish. This role continues, as the nation’s sense of identity evolves, our population becomes increasingly multicultural, and as a major building project is developed to house the Abbey Theatre for the decades to come.
The Abbey Theatre’s mission is to engage imaginatively with all of Irish society through the production of ambitious and courageous theatre, in all its forms. Ireland’s National Theatre is artist-led and audience-focused.
The Board of the Abbey Theatre is now seeking an Artistic Director.
Your principal accountabilities will be to:
- Report to the Board, with responsibility for the development, articulation, leadership and realisation of the artistic vision of the Abbey Theatre.
- Deliver unique, memorable, challenging experiences for audiences, which reflect and nurture Ireland’s artists in all their diversity, by making and presenting the broadest possible range of theatre.
- Enhance the Abbey Theatre’s reputation by directing plays and commissioning and initiating artistic projects and programmes, which will further the promotion and development of Irish culture.
- Lead the artistic vision through development and planning of ambitious multi-annual artistic programmes that align with and reflect the values of excellence, inclusiveness, diversity and equality set out in the Abbey Theatre Five-Year Strategy.
You should have:
- A flair for creativity and innovation allied to a strong reputation for successfully directing a diverse range of works of theatre.
- In-depth experience and effective artistic leadership capability within the theatre world.
- Knowledge of theatre, and a network of appropriate contacts within theatre at both national and international levels
For full details please see: www.odgers.com/21303
If you believe you have the drive, passion and experience necessary to take on this role, please submit a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae and supporting letter by email to: Mark O’Donnell, Managing Partner, Odgers Berndtson at email@example.com referencing Abbey Theatre Executive Director.
For a confidential conversation with Mark O’Donnell, please call +353 1 669 7030.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Monday 9th November, 2020.
Candidates will be sourced through both an advertised and an international executive search process.
The Abbey Theatre is an equal opportunities employer